If there ever was a process within the school experience which causes more stress and worry for parents, there is little else that rivals the Section 504 Plan. As a result, our practice has served families across the country as one of the leading advocacy agencies successfully addressing 504 Plans and related education decisions.
From an experienced advocate perspective, WE LOVE SECTION 504 PLANS! And we enjoy working with parents and staff on this path toward necessary accommodations and modifications. We are absolutely certain you will feel both well informed and relieved for the process is actually fairly simple. It’s just that there are a number of people who facilitate the process with a limited scope of reference or an inflexible interpretation of the laws guiding this federally mandated program:
Section 504 provides: “No otherwise qualified individual with a disability in the United States . . . shall, solely by reason of her or his disability, be excluded from the participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any program or activity receiving Federal financial assistance“.
In a nutshell, the work we do in this area is guided by three clear questions:
- What is the disability of concern? How is this understood by clinicians as well as parents & educators?
- How does the disability impact the school / learning experience: This question is not limited to “academics” alone!
- How do we know this? How is it demonstrated?
- What classroom-based evidence does the team have to document their perspective?
- How do these perceptions and understandings appear within assessments and evaluations?
- How does this compare with what we know as “typical expected behaviors or performance”?
- What interventions would be the next best step?
- Accommodations? Ways to enhance and lend support …
- Modifications in instruction or curriculum?
And by addressing 504 Plan requests from this perspective, it really takes the struggle out of the experience, and shifts the conversation to an evidence-based approach: no argument, minimal conflict, and most notably, less worry / fear / or self-interest that may often get in the way.
So if you are needing support in this process, give us a call or fill-out the “CONTACT US” button on the homepage.